What is an Evaluation and What are the Benefits
If you decide to be evaluated for learning disabilities, you will learn a good deal about yourself. Some of the benefits you can realize from being tested include:
- A detailed account of your areas of weakness and strength.
- Some specific strategies, including accommodations and modifications, to help you perform more effectively at work, in school, and in everyday life.
- Recommendations for support services, such as counselling, vocational assessment and job training.
- Recommendations for instructional strategies that will be of most help to you.
- Civil rights protection that ensures your right to accommodations at work and in school.
- Documentation that will help you be an effective self-advocate.
If you are a recent high school graduate and have up-to-date documentation of your learning disability, no additional testing should be required to qualify you for services and supports as an adult with LD.
Now that you know the benefits of being tested, find out where to have an evaluation done.