There is only one way to know for certain if you have learning disabilities - a formal evaluation known as a psychological assessment is the way that learning disabilities are diagnosed. These are done by a qualified member of a registered group such as the College of Psychologists who has been trained to identify learning disabilities. Such professionals may be clinical or educational psychologists, school psychologists, psychological associate, neuropsychologists or learning disabilities specialists.

Assessments can also provide a lot of useful information about your profile of abilities (your strengths as well as your weak areas) and about ways of helping (strategies and accommodations).

It is essential that the professional have training and direct experience working with and evaluating adults with learning disabilities. This person should also have up-to-date information about current LD research and have a working knowledge of local, provincial, and federal guidelines for providing help in different settings. This professional should be able to help you understand your needs relative to school, work, and daily living.

Find a Qualified Professional Here:

  • Ask your Guidance counselors in high schools
  • A Disability support services coordinator at your colleges or universities
  • A Learning Disabilities Association in your area or
  • Community mental health agencies
  • Counseling or study skills center at a local college or university
  • Educational therapists or learning specialists (psychologists) in private practice
After you make contact with any of the above, ask to be referred to a professional who has experience working with adults with learning disabilities. When you meet him/her, you'll want to ask questions for reassurance that you are working with the right person.
FaLang translation system by Faboba